Cox Communications - BEWARE: CANCELLING COX SERVICE

778 of 900 Cox Communications reviews

When you decide to cancel Cox, please read the following carefully to avoid being charged for things you shouldn't be charged for.

1) Prior to cancelling, log on to your Cox account. Download and save EVERY BILL YOU HAVE ACCESS TO. EVERY ONE. It's typically 12-13 months of bills.

2) When you call to cancel, request a ticket number. Explain that you want to cancel. Explain that you do not wish to be reconnected. Explain that you will return their equipment in one of their local stores, in person, with a witness. Also explain that you will require a receipt for each and every transaction. Also make it clear that you will have witnessess for each and every transaction.

3) Demand that every statement you have made in step 2 above is typed up in your ticket. Then, have them email you a copy of your ticket. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO HANG UP. Wait for the ticket, and what you demanded, to be received. READ YOUR EMAIL AND TICKET C A R E F U L L Y. If Cox makes a mistake, make them correct it. Then demand a resend of the email. Do not hang up the phone with the person you are cancelling with until you are 900% certain that every word in that email is exactly to your demands.

4) Do not allow anyone from Cox to visit your home. Do not allow them to send someone to pick up their equipment. Take the equipment to a store yourself. Make sure you take clear photographs of the equipment you are returning prior to your visit. Write down every number and word on that equipment prior to your visit. Obtain a receipt for every piece of equipment you turn in. Boxes, remotes, ANYTHING. Demand a receipt for each seperate piece of equipment.

5) Your equipment charge should be removed from your bill within 48 hours. Once this happens, make another visit to the store to pay your final bill. Ensure you have a witness. Make sure you ask the following questions in front of your witness: "Do I owe Cox any other equipment?" "Is my account paid in full?" If they answer no to both questions, ensure you state "I do not want to be reconnected. I do not want any Cox services whatsoever."

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 122 Yes 122
778 of 900 Cox Communications reviews
Hate Cox

2 days ago #1290272

I did not have a contract, cancelled service, and returned equipment.

Hate Cox

2 days ago #1290271

I have had the same charge of $174.21 after cancelling my service with no explanation. I moved and did not get the bill until it was already in collections and I have tried to dispute not having service and being billed. No one would know to go through all these steps to cancel service. I will never use Cox again and have informed everyone I know of this kind of action after e cancellation.

Jan 11 #1269450 Forest City, North Carolina, United States

Horrible customer services.....horrible...
I can't believe after loyalty for over 4 years paid on time no mayor issues....calling asking for my bill so high for a basic services.....no question asked....
Ending to cancel mi account with cox.....today is my second day try to return the boxes.....yesterday waiting time 20 minutes ending at 35 minutes I left..
Today is 25 minutes waiting time....still waiting...
Very disappointing.....Cox is suck....

BlackElvis

Jan 11 #1269432 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Happy 2017 everyone! I actually cancelled my cable part of the deal and kept the internet, returned equipment back no problem, now the only problem is the internet is slow af!! cancelling as we speak and getting CenturyLink for those of you in the Las Vegas Valley CenturyLink is the way to go for Internet at least

1 0 Reply

Jul 05, 2016 #1181467 Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

Going through this with Cox right now. I discontinued my cable TV but kept internet. I returned so much equipment that they had to help me in with it. My first bill was for internet only, the 2nd had 2 charges for equipment. Two modems at $128 each!. I took 2 modems to the cox store one was on the list and one not. The clerk gave me a ticket with the return and showed me the one modem -not installed when the phone person said it was- on the list- I will look.
Beware! Always return the equipment even if the guy says its broken. Keep the receipts forever. My brother says, sis if they only got you for that you are lucky. He says always buy your own equipment. I was with Cox for over 25 years!!

Mar 21, 2016 #1131439

Disconnect fees depend on whether or not you have a contract. I have used cox twice. I do not have a contract for my services. I own my own equipment and disconnect service on the last day of my pay period. Keep it simple with no surprises.

1 1 Reply
Mike_mn

Nov 08, 2015 #1060205

Cable companies have everything.... we have nothing! All hail the cables companies!
I've found hat going to the cable company store will aluminum foil wrapped around your head, and plastic bread bags around your feet works very well. There more than glad to cancel your service. lol

9 0 Reply

Oct 22, 2015 #1052070

Cox really stinks......i am about to end cox

9 0 Reply
mistyhope

Feb 14, 2016 #1111714 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

Sadly, depends on area you live in not a lot of good companies. Century Link is awesome- just can't break my lease to move to an area they are established... no Internet/ or destroy my credit ???
Lovely LAS V

Sep 28, 2015 #1040235

very helpful. thank you so much for sharing.

6 0 Reply

Aug 30, 2015 #1027245

I canceled my cable and now my internet is slow!

5 0 Reply
Frank

Nov 03, 2014 #894799 Mesa, Arizona, United States

Obviously this person felt things were misrepresented and he wasn't happy with the results. I've dealt with companies big and small who have (knowingly or unknowingly) attempted to rip me off and being meticulous with your receipts and documents is the best way to ensure that things are handled appropriately for both parties.

6 3 Reply
Fountain Lord of Vegas

Sep 30, 2014 #878000 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

I have been with Cox Communications for 25 years and they have always been very professional, very responsive to my needs, and just a great company to be associated with. The grandson spilled a drink on the cable box and they replaced it right away, no problem. Need a new remote, again replaced right away and no questions. Treat them as you would like to be treated and I'm sure you will find them to be most cordial.
That's my story!
Tom P.

7 55 Reply

Mar 09, 2015 #956114 Stamford, Connecticut, United States

I have a very different perspective. I returned all my equipment and closed my account as instructed. Now, I'm buying a house and in jeopardy of not getting my appropriate level of financing due to COX reporting me to collections for equipment I returned.
SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS! Read the above instructions, very helpful, wish I'd seen it before my situation.
FCOX!

21 0 Reply
Anonymous 2

Mar 14, 2015 #958242 Tucson, Arizona, United States

My fiance is having a similar issue. He returned equipment, and went into store himself to pay final bill (moved out of state to non-cox area). We just found out during home financing that they put $600 of charges on his credit report. They apparently charge a disconnect fee after last bill. This was many years ago, unfortunately it just came to our attention when we ran his credit report. I'd do it just like this guy described, photos and all!

11 0 Reply

May 24, 2016 #1163773

Cable companies need to be regulated. It's crazy what they get away with and what they can do.

3 1 Reply

Mar 07, 2016 #1123544

Looks our voted out Tom

1 0 Reply

Apr 03, 2016 #1138829

That's the funniest *** I've ever heard. They have canceled 2 of my work order regarding a cable that is sitting up on my shed roof running through my tree and in between my fence to my neighbors yard. I went through months of *** last time to have something done. In the meantime my shed roof had wasted away so bad that I could no longer repair. I finally removed the unsafe material from my yard this time and was later threatened by my neighbors. Since when is it legal for me to be able to reach up and grab my neighbors cable wire in my yard????

2 0 Reply

May 03, 2016 #1153518

YOur a kiss up! cox is screwing people done..

3 3 Reply

1-20 of 26 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.