77.2K views

When you decide to cancel Cox, please read the following carefully to avoid being charged for things you shouldn't be charged for.

1) Prior to cancelling, log on to your Cox account. Download and save EVERY BILL YOU HAVE ACCESS TO. EVERY ONE. It's typically 12-13 months of bills.

2) When you call to cancel, request a ticket number. Explain that you want to cancel. Explain that you do not wish to be reconnected. Explain that you will return their equipment in one of their local stores, in person, with a witness. Also explain that you will require a receipt for each and every transaction. Also make it clear that you will have witnessess for each and every transaction.

3) Demand that every statement you have made in step 2 above is typed up in your ticket. Then, have them email you a copy of your ticket. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO HANG UP. Wait for the ticket, and what you demanded, to be received. READ YOUR EMAIL AND TICKET C A R E F U L L Y. If Cox makes a mistake, make them correct it. Then demand a resend of the email. Do not hang up the phone with the person you are cancelling with until you are 900% certain that every word in that email is exactly to your demands.

4) Do not allow anyone from Cox to visit your home. Do not allow them to send someone to pick up their equipment. Take the equipment to a store yourself. Make sure you take clear photographs of the equipment you are returning prior to your visit. Write down every number and word on that equipment prior to your visit. Obtain a receipt for every piece of equipment you turn in. Boxes, remotes, ANYTHING. Demand a receipt for each seperate piece of equipment.

5) Your equipment charge should be removed from your bill within 48 hours. Once this happens, make another visit to the store to pay your final bill. Ensure you have a witness. Make sure you ask the following questions in front of your witness: "Do I owe Cox any other equipment?" "Is my account paid in full?" If they answer no to both questions, ensure you state "I do not want to be reconnected. I do not want any Cox services whatsoever."

Product or Service Mentioned: Cox Communications Internet Service.

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Comments

Going through this with Cox right now. I discontinued my cable TV but kept internet.

I returned so much equipment that they had to help me in with it. My first bill was for internet only, the 2nd had 2 charges for equipment. Two modems at $128 each!. I took 2 modems to the cox store one was on the list and one not.

The clerk gave me a ticket with the return and showed me the one modem -not installed when the phone person said it was- on the list- I will look.

Beware! Always return the equipment even if the guy says its broken. Keep the receipts forever.

My brother says, sis if they only got you for that you are lucky.

He says always buy your own equipment. I was with Cox for over 25 years!!

Disconnect fees depend on whether or not you have a contract. I have used cox twice.

I do not have a contract for my services.

I own my own equipment and disconnect service on the last day of my pay period. Keep it simple with no surprises.

Josalyn

Cable companies have everything.... we have nothing!

All hail the cables companies!

I've found hat going to the cable company store will aluminum foil wrapped around your head, and plastic bread bags around your feet works very well.

There more than glad to cancel your service. lol

#1052070

Cox really stinks......i am about to end cox

@PissedConsumer1052070

Sadly, depends on area you live in not a lot of good companies. Century Link is awesome- just can't break my lease to move to an area they are established... no Internet/ or destroy my credit ???

Lovely LAS V

very helpful. thank you so much for sharing.

I canceled my cable and now my internet is slow!

Cox is absolutely terrible, insert expletive and and also

Obviously this person felt things were misrepresented and he wasn't happy with the results. I've dealt with companies big and small who have (knowingly or unknowingly) attempted to rip me off and being meticulous with your receipts and documents is the best way to ensure that things are handled appropriately for both parties.

I have been with Cox Communications for 25 years and they have always been very professional, very responsive to my needs, and just a great company to be associated with. The grandson spilled a drink on the cable box and they replaced it right away, no problem.

Need a new remote, again replaced right away and no questions.

Treat them as you would like to be treated and I'm sure you will find them to be most cordial.

That's my story!

Tom P.

@PissedConsumer878000

I have a very different perspective. I returned all my equipment and closed my account as instructed.

Now, I'm buying a house and in jeopardy of not getting my appropriate level of financing due to COX reporting me to collections for equipment I returned.

SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS! Read the above instructions, very helpful, wish I'd seen it before my situation.

FCOX!

@PissedConsumer956114

My fiance is having a similar issue. He returned equipment, and went into store himself to pay final bill (moved out of state to non-cox area).

We just found out during home financing that they put $600 of charges on his credit report. They apparently charge a disconnect fee after last bill.

This was many years ago, unfortunately it just came to our attention when we ran his credit report. I'd do it just like this guy described, photos and all!

@PissedConsumer956114

Cable companies need to be regulated. It's crazy what they get away with and what they can do.

Looks our voted out Tom

@PissedConsumer878000

That's the funniest *** I've ever heard. They have canceled 2 of my work order regarding a cable that is sitting up on my shed roof running through my tree and in between my fence to my neighbors yard.

I went through months of *** last time to have something done. In the meantime my shed roof had wasted away so bad that I could no longer repair.

I finally removed the unsafe material from my yard this time and was later threatened by my neighbors. Since when is it legal for me to be able to reach up and grab my neighbors cable wire in my yard????

@PissedConsumer878000

YOur a kiss up! cox is screwing people done..

@PissedConsumer878000

They're ONLY this way with you because of your 25-years with them! I've been with them 9 as of writing this today, but after today - they're GONE, gone, GONE!

- because they jacked my bill up almost double because my contract died 3 months ago and I've been "shopping" BUT also let them know and spoken with them 3 times prior to today, and NOT ONCE did any of them advise me that if I thought my rate was whacked after the contract, that this past week, it would REALLY be whacked - when I wen online to pay it - Surprise! - there it was in all its glory and so I called them up and BAM! - they're gone just like that. I only watch like 7 channels anyway and I'm too busy working to survive, and work too hard nowadays to just hand them un-earnerd and ridiculous money!

- I may as well light my Benni'e on fire - it would be MORE entertaining, and maybe I'd burn the house down and then get paid from the Insurance company instead! Later COX, it's NOT been fun!

@PissedConsumer1174929

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Where's yours?

All I'm reading is a bunch of rantings about Cox. Yes! I agree with your analogies but what does the company get from your message. Absolutely nothing.

Sorry. So how do you, the customer, instruct a billion dollar company to retrain and educate their employees to be more empathetic? To reevaluate their business practices? It's easy!

You send feedback. Right from their website cox.com, bottom of the page, left side, feedback link appears. Well. Years have gone by and nothing seems to have changed.

And I bet your still a customer?

Thank you. We appreciate you being a loyal customer.

@PissedConsumer878000

I had no issues either, UNTIL I moved to a state they didn’t service. They didn’t want to cancel my service...tried everything including asking me to talk to the new homeowner about using Cox.

Wtf?

I’m still trying to clear this up with them a month later. My husband plays on the NFL; we move a lot and they don’t want to *** us off anymore.

900% certain huh? You sound like a very educated person.

Cox Communications Reviews