This afternoon, I had an encounter with one of Cox's support contractors who paid an unsolicited visit to my Home that turned unpleasant as it progressed.

Mr. Joseph Perez is a white male likely in his late twenties with dark hair, medium build approximately 145 – 155 lbs. and about 5' 08" tall. He was wearing business casual clothing, light tan slacks and a light grey polo-style shirt at the time of the visit. Taking times directly from video security recordings, he arrived at 4:53 PM and rang the doorbell – that would be the one 4 inches below the prominent sign that reads: "No Soliciting."

Mr. Perez did not identify himself by name, but was wearing a Cox contractor's badge on his belt that displayed his name and that name was later verified by the officer that responded to my contact. He briefly began the conversation by inquiring about the reception quality and our level of satisfaction with Cox's service. I confirmed there were no difficulties and we were satisfied with the arrangement and had recently had a representative install tuner cards in a new Tivo and checked levels and settings on the entire system.

For the next six minutes (I finally had to close the door on him to get him to leave (shown at 4:59:40 PM on the recording), he attempted to promote Internet service, phone service, the Cox-type TIVO and so forth. I repeatedly declined specifically stating that I already had five Tivos, we were satisfied with our I.P. provider, we had the on-demand service that met our requirements and I specifically did not want Cox phone service. I finally told Mr. Perez, firmly, NO, and that I had specifically notified Cox we did not want any solicitation by phone or otherwise and that he was in violation of Irvine civil code that forbids solicitation from anyone without an appointment when "No Soliciting" signs (we have TWO clearly visible) are posted. He insisted that since we were a Cox customer, that didn't apply.

The local ordinance most certainly DOES apply"” even more so than us notifying Cox that we do not want solicitations, which we have done. Not only does Cox not honor our request, but their contractor is going to stand there on my doorstep and ARGUE with me that he has every right to intentionally bother us after I have FOUR TIMES IN A ROW told him I was NOT INTERESTED and did NOT want to make any changes!

After I closed the door I contacted the police. Aside from being annoying and persistent this representative is in clear violation of Irvine Municipal code 2-10-903 which reads: No person shall, without prior appointment, solicit, canvass or peddle upon premises which are posted with a sign or signs stating in substance that solicitors, canvassers or peddlers are not permitted. Ord. No. 49, § 2, 10-10-72; Code 1976, § II.M-1803)

The police inquired if I knew which direction the man was going (door-to-door) when he left and I said I didn't notice but I'd check. When I located him he noticed me and gave me an odd, questioning look. I answered the unspoken inquiry by telling him that I was very displeased with his persistence and I had called the police so that they could explain the ordinance to him for clarification. He responded by taking out his cell phone and telling me "don't bother" – that HE was going to call the police to tell them he had, quote: "some kind of *** following him". Those are his exact words.

So not only is this representative obnoxiously persist and disregards our privacy, the local ordinances regarding his visit, my subsequent repeated request to be left alone, but he is insulting and defamatory.

Customers should not have to put up with this kind of thing.

Sincerely,

DP

Review about: Cox Communications Internet Service.

Had an Experience with Cox Communications?

Comments

Sounds like a fraud, sir.