Verified Reviewer

Update by user Sep 10

After installing professional level network monitoring sw, I was able to provide Cox Corporate offices and technicians with detailed proof that the Cox service was failing ~100 times a day. The response from the technical side was robust and after several days and multiple fixes to Cox infrastructure, my service was restored.

My service since has been reliable and at speeds I have contracted for. Very nice to be back in business. I am a bit astounded that Cox network operations did not have similar monitoring on-going. Corporate network systems routinely monitor the ongoing status of networks with automatic alerts of key failures.

This is standard practice for the world.

How Cox struggled to identify and repair this ongoing (>4 months) problem is a mystery to me. Local Cox tech support was an absolute failure; whose only "fix" was to tell me I had to upgrade to Gigablast services.

Original review posted by user Aug 11

The service problems for my home internet service have persisted for ~5-months remain. These failures make my Internet services (contracted for 150Mbps) essentially unavailable to me for a majority of the time.

Tech support insisted I had to upgrade to Gigablast without any real testing of my problem. I complained to corporate office in Georgia an a Service technician was dispatched. He replaced wiring from street to my house althought he expressed doubt that this would solve my problems. He said that his testing showed good service signals.

Withing a few hours, the connectivity problems resumed. Since, in the past ~5 months, I have not received anywhere near the service levels I contracted for and the constant interruptions (sometimes >;; 100 per day) make use extremely problematic for school, meetings, etc.

I conducted very technical monitoring of my service levels for about 2 weeks. Two IP addresses were monitored testing both internal wifi and external connectivity. All service interruptions (failures) were up-stream of the Gateway.

At no time did the home WiFi or connection to the gateway fail and internal connectivity worked 100% of the time. There were 2 days in between where service was steady with very few failures. Obviously, decent service is possible.

The pattern of the failures clearly point to a failure outside of the home, i.e. Cox interrupted service either willfully or by hw/sw failures.

WiFi service was flawless throughout the monitored periods and internal use (not dependent on internet) worked without failures. The Gateway WiFi system works fine and loads/number of devices connected had no impact on service. It is worth noting that when I called Tech Support (including 2nd tier) other than rebooting my gateway, the only solution offered was that I had "to upgrade my service to Gigablast" purportedly because I had too many WiFi connected devices". Any competent tech knows that the number of devices is essentially irrelevant to performance.

Only bandwidth utilization is important; certainly well within the numbers we're talking about here.

PS: most of my "Wifi connected devices" are passive (e.g. printers, sensors, cameras) except on those infrequent and rare occasions when directly accessed.

This is a failure of Cox to provide the services contracted for.

User's recommendation: Find a different internet service provider.

Product or Service Mentioned: Cox Communications Internet Service.

Preferred solution: 5-month refund and fix my service please.

Location: 5159 Federal Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92105