Cox High Speed Internet latest commercial showing a white couple adopting a Chinese child from Shanghai is racist.

There are thousands of American-born children, many of them minority, desperately wanting to be adopted by a loving couple. The couple in the commercial do not speak Chinese and are using their computers to learn how to greet the child.

Instead of using a Chinese child, the commercial could have shown how to make a non-white adopted child feel welcome. Rather than subliminally supporting foreign adoptions at the expense of American born children, Cox should put a positive spin on the need of children here.

The existing commercial is bluntly discriminating and should be removed from the air.

Product or Service Mentioned: Cox Communications Commercial.

Reason of review: Racial discriminating commercial.

Preferred solution: Remove commercial.

Comments

I think we need to review what racist means. How is an adoption of a child in another country racist?

Racist is defined as “showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another.” Nowhere in the commercial does Cox communications indicate that Chinese children or the country of China is superior to America. We live in the United States and we have freedom of choice. If a couple chooses to adopt a child in a foreign country that is their freedom and right to do so. Yes, there are plenty of children who need to be adopted in this country but while they are awaiting adoption they are in good living conditions.

I say good not to imply that they aren’t doing very well and above average but are out of the elements, fed, clothed, and housed. Those children in China don’t have the same living conditions and if they’re a girl they don’t get adopted. My brother and sister-in-law adopted two girls from China. One was found in a trash dumpster one was left on the adoption agency’s front porch.

They don’t have a chance in *** of having a decent life. So the American couple is doing a great humanitarian effort to rescue a child that may not otherwise have any chance at a good life.

Remove yourself from your egocentric thinking and consider the other possibilities. Thank you!

This commercial should be taken off the air. Their are plenty of American children in this country waiting to be adopted. Let the girl from Shanghai stay in that country.

to Rita #1675210

We are talking about airing a "racist commercial"?? Did you not read your own comment?

That was a prejudice statement.

Don't get me wrong, I agree to an extent..but maybe if an American family adopts foreign children they have a chance to be raised "properly" by U.S. standards anyway..(don't know if that's good or bad..And "Rita" wow!

I agree. I have seen this commercial for several weeks now and each time it angers me more and more.

I feel it’s racist as well! Too many American children need adopting.

I’ll bet when they see this commercial it makes them feel insufficient. I hate you Cox cable for your insensitive commercial!!

I actually love that commercial and think it is just adorable that a couple wants to learn another language so they can adopt a child from another country.