1.1
Coverage Area
Style and Design

Cox is the only viable provider in the location that I currently reside. If i lived 6 miles south I'd be much happier with Eatel, but unfortunately there is some governmental shenanigans blocking their expansion of services into the area that I live. Your local government in action folks, way to prop up those monopolies!

Although not as bad as ATT, and I don't even consider wireless or satellite providers to be valid options at all, I've got to say that since I've moved, I've really gotten a doo-doo taste in my mouth left by the poor customer service, backwards billing practices, and unapologetic downtime that Cox has forced up my butt, and subsequently down my throat, which accounts for the poor aftertaste.

Granted, I live in a sparsely populated rural area, my township has a population of less than 10 thousand people, but I now come to recognize the following issues:

1. Cox communications does not care to bother giving any form of customer service or competitive pricing structure because you are extremely limited when it comes to choice of provider. Cox provides the fastest internet in my area by default, so I'm pretty much forced to deal with them and accept whatever poor policies come down the pipe.

2. Cox does not actually have any real employees on the road that provide installation and troubleshooting services. Everyone that represents Cox that walks on to your property is third party contracted, and they get paid by the job, so to them, if they can say the work is "out of scope", close the service ticket and walk away, then they will bank their service call money and not give half a rodent phallus weather or not your issues are resolved.

3. Cox has an extremely limited talent pool in their phone based technical services division. The lowest tier of technician that gates sufficient solutions 3 tiers away answers the phone and usually has no idea about how their distribution tech works and they simply forcefully read a script to you when you describe an outage issue to them. If your area has an outage, their infrastructure reporting within their CRM may not have that information available. You may be following along with a scripted charade for 2 hours in the attempt to get a technician to your doorstep within the next 2 weeks, when suddenly the tech somehow realizes there is an outage in your area.

4. Cox refuses to compensate in any way for downtime. If your internet is down for 3 days, you will get a canned response about how sorry they are but that apology will never reflect numerically on your bill. When your power goes out, at least you are charged by the KWH instead of some stupid flat fee that is unwavering.

5. Cox does not care what you ask for when it comes to hardware provisioning. If you ask for a DOCSIS 3 modem, they might accidentally leave a snowglobe in place of a modem. You pretty much have to research which modem you need for your service, buy it, and activate it over the phone. If you don't, you might end up paying $10/month for a broken wireless gateway from the late 90's that doesn't provide you with the bandwidth you actually pay for in your contract. I believe this is due to having contracted service providers that have limited resources on hand, and driving back to a warehouse for proper equipment resupply cuts into their bottom line since they get paid by the job, not the hour.

6. Cox has gigablast technology, just not in your area, or probably ever. By the time Cox offers gigablast, Google would have expanded throughout the states, or municipal broadband may become available in my area, and 1gbps internet will probably seem like outdated trash by then.

7. Cox meters your bandwidth usage and starts surcharging you after 600GB. That's right, in the age of 4k streaming video services and Game downloads on demand, 600GB of data is the cap, and you get to start paying for a glorified cell phone data plan when you commit the sin of overage. This basically encourages people to cancel their streaming services and pirate movies and television instead, since live-on-demand services pretty much tax your data cap by the end of the month. A mid-70's couple that stays home all day streaming movies through netflix and listens to radio broadcasts while playing Bridge online can break a 600GB cap in a month. Seriously, what is Cox thinking? Probably how much cocaine and government bribes they can afford after they don't reinvest any of their profits back into their infrastructure.

8. Oh, yeah; speaking of infrastructure, there was a flood in my state in 2016. You know what we learned when this happened? We learned that ATT only has a single provisioning node for cellphone services, and that Cox also has followed suit by not having any form of backup provisioning, so when certain areas went underwater, a quarter of the state went dark. No Cellphone services for ATT users and their subsidiaries, and no internet for Cox users. My in-laws literally thought me, my wife, and my 3 month old daughter didn't evacuate on time and had drowned to death. Needless to say, I switched my provider to Verizon, but I don't have a viable alternative to Cox.

I'm sick of complaining about Cox now, but there are other issues that I have with them. Perhaps i'll come back and edit that in the next time I'm waiting for an outage to come to a close and I'm staring blankly into my phone wondering when I can get back to work.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

I liked: Internet when it still worked.

I didn't like: Product delivery, Cable service, Rude unhelpfull employee, 8 paragraphs worth of company failures.

Comments